Chromotherapy and its Effects
Ancient cultures relied on colors to stimulate emotions, accompany spiritual practices and treat ailments. Today we call the influence of visible color on the mind and body Chromotherapy, also known as Color Therapy. Chromotherapy impacts us through light wavelengths which our body responds to based on biological predispositions and social learning. Color Therapy is a technique of restoring balance by means of applying color to the body. Therapeutic applications of light and color are being investigated in major hospitals and research centers worldwide. Results indicate that full-spectrum, ultraviolet, colored, and laser light can have therapeutic value for a range of conditions from chronic pain and depression to immune disorders.
According to A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution by Samina T. Yousuf Azeemi and S. Mohsin Raza:
“Light is responsible for turning on the brain and the body. Light enters the body through the eyes and skin. When even a single photon of light enters the eye, it lights up the entire brain. This light triggers the hypothalamus, which regulates all life-sustaining bodily functions, the autonomic nervous system, endocrine system, and the pituitary (the body’s master gland).”
The Effects of Each Color
Light energy is a vital source for cellular growth. Humans need the sun’s light, which is divided into seven distinct rays, to live. If there is an imbalance in these colors within our bodies, it can manifest itself in physical or mental distress. Each color possesses frequencies of a specific vibration, and each vibration is related to different physical symptoms. Chromotherapy works on various energy points to help the body re-establish its natural balance. It accomplishes this via the full spectrum of visible light, with each color addressing a different system within the body.
RED – often referred to as “The Great Energizer.” Red improves athletic performance and cellular growth. It’s thought to help with colds, pneumonia and poor circulation. Root Chakra
ORANGE – promotes feelings of joy, positivity and warmth. Orange is often referred to as “The Wisdom Ray” and can stimulate and enhance creativity. Sacral Chakra
YELLOW – provides an enriching effect upon the intellect and can awaken inspiration. Yellow stimulates clarity, focus and overall happiness. Solar Plexus Chakra
GREEN – known as the “Universal Healing” color, green balances mind and body. It can help relax muscles, nerves and thoughts plus promote peace and harmony. Research suggests that green may also help migraines and fibromyalgia. Heart Chakra
BLUE – enhances clarity of speech and communication. Blue is a mentally relaxing color with a pacifying effect on the nervous system. Shown to decrease pain, ease anxiety and alleviate stress. Throat Chakra
VIOLET – associated with inner wisdom, pleasure and purification. Violet is a mix of blue and red creating the perfect balance of energy and focus, making it an effective color for meditation. Crown Chakra
Incorporating Color Therapy into Your Daily Routine
Color is everywhere, it decorates our homes, the clothes we wear, and the natural world around us. If adding Color Therapy to your health and wellness routine sounds appealing, Jillian Levy has described 7 ways we can intentionally incorporate Color Therapy into our daily lives:
- Be mindful of the colors you choose when painting your home – remembering that warm colors are more stimulating and cool colors are calming
- The sun is our brightest light, get outside as often as you can to soak up those rays
- Color Therapy glasses, many people utilize blue light blocking glasses while using electronic devices later in the day, others use yellow-tinted glasses for their uplifting effect
- Soaking in Mother Nature’s color, being outside is one of the easiest ways to get stimulated by the natural colors – in the sky, grass, trees, flowers, etc.
- Using specific colors while expressing yourself through painting or drawing – using purple greens and indigo to inspire positive and more grounded and affectionate feelings
- Clearlight’s Red Light Therapy Tower can have profound effects on your mind and body by combining powerful red light and near-infrared wavelengths to penetrate deep into your cells
- Try utilizing crystals to break up sunlight and give off different colors, you can use them while meditating to help get into a specific state of mind
Another effective way to add Chromotherapy into your life is with a Clearlight Sauna. All models are equipped with Chromotherapy lights on the ceiling for the ultimate healing experience. You can sit back, relax and enjoy the many benefits of infrared heat while you soak in your favorite color.
The Heal with Heat Team can reached at 800-317-5070 or info@HealwithHeat.com